Welcome to the
SHNfamily PHiSH Project
Connecting to SHNfamily:
A Brief Visual Guide To Using DC++
First off, visit the DC++ homepage and grab the newest version. DC++ is free & open source under a GPL.
For more info please visit the DC++ faq and broadbandreports DC++ faq.
DC++ is an open source client for the Direct Connect protocol. Direct Connect allows you to share files over the internet without restrictions or limits. The client is completely free of advertisements and has a nice, easy to use interface. Firewall and router support is integrated and itís easy and convenient to use functionality like multi-hub connections, auto connections and resuming of downloads.
- To begin...
- Welcome! DC++ and more specifically, SHNfamily (the hub, as we call it) is a GREAT place for lossless music, especially Phish.
- In terms of speed and access, bit torrent is the most efficient way to get a show out to those who are on top of trading on a day to day basis. However, it's not always the best way to get that "one show" you might have been searching for, and it might not be appropriate for the not-so-active trader.
- DC++ works like a constant FTP server, but with multiple users. It's great for leaving up huge "shares" of music for people to download from freely, at their own pace, without the uploader having to worry about seeding on a torrent, or the torrent going dead.
- While alot of us in the hub do share other bands, the hub is dedicated to the preserving and sharing of Phish's music.
- Many of us have been building our live music collections on DC++ for well over 5 years now, and many users in SHNfamily have over 3000 hours of lossless Phish that, if it's not being shared already, can be shared with just a quick private message to that user.
- So please, come hang out with us, see what's around and most importantly spread the joy of live music!
- Sharing requirements:
- At least 1GB shared. This is primarily to prevent spambots from entering the hub.
If this poses a problem for you, email us and we'll be happy to work a way around it.
- At least 1 slot open for uploads (explained below).
- Only lossless audio may be shared. [shn, flac, mkw, ape, etc]
- Only trade-friendly bands are allowed, known as BTAT, or Bands That Allow Taping.
Most can be found on Archive.org,
Furthurnet, or BTAT.wagnerone.com.
If you're not sure about a particular band, please ask before sharing it.
- Please verify md5's or ffp's before sharing a show
- We enjoy our community, and these rules are to ensure it can continue, free from harassment by the RIAA.
- The hub is maintained by ops, or Hub Operators.
They reserve the right to kick and/or ban any users who do not follow the hub rules.
Kicking results in a 15 minute time-out, bans are permanent.
- Copyrighted material, or commercially available recordings [LivePhish, SCI OTR, etc] are NOT allowed to be shared in the hub, ever.
- Videos are prohibited, in accordance with Phish policy.
DO NOT SHARE VIDEO FILES! [avi, mpeg, mpg, asp, mov, wmv, etc]
DVD-Audio formats however are quite legal, and indeed seem to be the next evolutionary step in lossless music.
- This is a lossless hub dedicated to audio quality.
DO NOT SHARE LOSSY FILES! [mp3, ogg, aac, wma, etc]
You will be asked to remove them from your share, and will most likely be taunted ruthlessly by audiophiles.
- DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT sharing illegal warez or apps (duh, this isn't Kazaa).
Shareware or freeware used for lossless music however, is just fine. [flac frontend, mkw audio compression, etc]
- Please do not share wav files, incomplete, or unverified files/filesets.
It's just annoying. Like selling a pool table that's missing the 8 ball.
- Please be respectful, we take pride in being newbie-friendly and free from flame wars.
Acting like an asshole could get you kicked at an op's discretion.
- AND NO FILMY!!
- PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES!
- We like to think the ops are pretty nice people, and are generally quite helpful.
However, we have an obligation to keep the hub 100% live, legal and lossless, and will nag you incessantly if your share is not legit.
If you get hammered with warnings about your share, please do not take it personally.
There are many in hubland sharing highly illegal copyrighted material, and it's our duty to keep them out of our hub.
We are simply doing our part to protect the musical freedoms given to us by the bands we love.
We are also human, and make mistakes.
If you believe you've been banned based on a misunderstanding, please email us.
We'd much rather help you clean up your share and keep you in the community than have you disappear thinking that we hold a personal grudge against you for liking Britney Spears albums in mp3.
- After installing DC++ run the application.
- The settings window should automatically pop-up, as well as a separate Help window.
- If not, go to File->Settings, or click on the checkmark icon.
- Personal Information:
- Enter your hub Nickname (required), E-mail address (using AT and DOT is fine), general Description of what's in your share, and your best guess of your Line speed (upload). This information will be visible to everyone in the hub.
- Connection Settings:
- Incoming connection settings:
- Choose Direct Connection if your ports are not blocked (no firewall/router) and leave the fields empty.
- Choose Firewall with manual port forwarding and enter your external ip and forwarded TCP/UDP ports if you have a firewall or router.
- Choose Firewall (passive, last resort) if you have no port control and they are blocked. This mode should allow you to at least enter the hub, where you can ask for help.
- Outgoing connection settings: Leave set to Direct connection, unless you have a compelling reason not to.
- A note on Active vs Passive: Passive users (firewalled) can only transfer files with active users (unfirewalled, or portforwarded), and not to other passive users. Active users can connect to everyone, so it is worthwhile to try and become active. Information on forwarding your ports can be found at www.portforward.com
- Click on Add folder, and browse for your top level folder(s) containing at least 1 GB of trade-friendly lossless audio.
- You should get a pop-up window asking for the Virtual name, which you can leave as the directory name.
- DC++ will then create your File index, known as hashing. This will appear in another pop-up window, where you can click on Run in background. Depending on how big your share is, this could take several minutes to several hours, but will only need to be done once.
- Set your Upload slots to 1 or more depending on how much upstream bandwidth you have. A general rule of thumb is to have at least 20-30 kB/s available per slot.
- Click OK to exit and apply changes, and wait for your share to finish hashing.
- Click Browse and navigate to your Default download directory. You will want to keep this folder separate from your shared directory, so that you can completely finish and verify downloaded shows before sharing them (which is generally considered a nice thing to do).
- It would be worthwhile here to check Automatically search for alternative download locations.
Connecting to the hub:
- Adding SHNfamily:
- After configuring your settings go to View->Favorite hubs.
- Click New... to enter the hub address and edit properties.
- Hub Properties:
- Enter the Name of the hub (SHNfamily).
- Enter the Address to connect to (shnfamily.org).
- Enter a Description for your reference.
- Leave the other Identification fields blank to use your default settings.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Enter the hub:
- Click the checkbox next to SHNfamily to automatically connect every time you start DC++.
- Click Connect to enter the hub, or double-click on the hub name. NOTE: You will be denied access if you are not sharing 1GB of music and/or have no slots open for uploads.
Using the hub:
- Once you have successfully entered the hub you will receive a welcome message from carbot (BOT/Hub Security).
- The bottom panel displays your current transfers in progress.
- The right panel is the user list, which contains all users currently connected to the hub. Users with key symbols next to their names are ops, or Hub Operators.
- The large left panel is the main chat not unlike IRC. Many laughs are shared, and friendships formed in this particular panel.
- There will always be at least a few ops in the hub. Send any issues of concern or any questions to them via private message (see below) at any time.
- Chat as you please, usually there are several users in the hub main chat. Please feel free to ask questions, post ISOs, send links, or just shoot the shit.
- Private Messages:
- To send a pm, or private message to a particular user, right click on the user's name in the right panel.
- Only you, the person receiving the message, and the NSA will see this chat.
Searching the Hub and Downloading Music:
- Search the Hub:
- Click on View->Search, or on the plain magnifying glass (search) icon located at the top of your screen.
- Enter a search string. We try to follow the etree standards for naming: ph 97 11 22, gd 74 06 18, etc...
- Click Search. This will bring up any search hits in the search window.
- Right click on a file to download that specific file, or to get that users file list in order to select the entire show folder (suggested, see below).
- View a users filelist:
- Right click on a user and select Get file list, or double-click on the user name.
- After viewing the filelist, right-click on a show folder to add it, and its contents to your queue to download.
- Download Queue:
- Click on View->Download Queue, or the folder icon with a down arrow and clock to display your downloads in progress.
- The speed, percentage, and file size are displayed.
- When you download a folder all of its contents are queued. (Like an FTP queue)
- Right clicking on a file allows you to set the priority for individual files in your queue.
- Finished items will be automatically removed from your queue.
- No slots available means a user is currently uploading to other people and cannot accept any more downloaders. Don't despair, you will be placed on that user's Upload Queue, and when your turn comes you will automatically begin downloading. Disconnecting from the user or hub will put you back at the end of the line.
- It is possible to download the same show from several users at the same time, and DC++ will automatically search for others with the same files.
- Please resist the temptation to hog slots or leech excessively from other users. There's an understandable tendency when first entering the hub to try and download everything at once. Please understand that the bandwidth you're using is due to the generosity of the individual you're downloading from, and that other users may be waiting patiently in line.
- Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you have in main chat! Someone is almost always around to help out!
Comments or suggestions?
Please send them to:
Connecting to SHNfamily - revised 3/3/06 by vwhitey & phishboyd